Friday, December 24, 2010

My top ten books of 2010

Well, its almost the New year, and I wanted to do a blog about my favorite books of the year. Not necessarily books that came out this year, just books I read this year.

1. The Hunger Games Series By Suzanne Collins.
     These book's are definitely the best book's I have read in quite a  long time. I heard about this series a little late in the game, so they were all published by the time I caught on. Which was great for me, I didn't have to wait for the second and third books to come out.
I love books that take you away, and these definitely did that for me. The characters are some of my favorite characters of all time, right behind Harry Potter. I love the adventure of them, and the idea of fighting for what you think is right. It took me less then three days to get through these books, and Ive since read them a second time. Everyone Ive recommended them to has loved them just as much.

2. The Maze Runner By James Dashner
    I really do love my dystopian novels. As with the Hunger Games, this one is all about the world gone wrong. I enjoyed this book quite a bit, and loved the idea of the maze. If you haven't read this, do it. Right Now.
I almost would have preferred this as a stand alone novel, as the sequel isn't amazing. And now I wait, for god knows how long, for the third to come out and try to awe me.

3. Stranger in a Strange Land By Robert Heinlein
     This book came out long before I was even though of. Although i have read quite a bit of sci-fi, some how this one slipped under the radar. I'm told it had quite a following back in the day, though. I love reading books in which the writer dreams up what they think the future world is going to consist of. This one didn't disappoint me in that respect, or in any other. I grok it.

4. Water For Elephants By Sarah Gruen
    I joined a book club early in the year that has since stopped meeting, and this was the first book we read. I thought it was a great story, and very touching. Not what you would expect from a circus novel. It doesn't sugar coat the treatment of the animals, and the people, who worked and ran many of the big top shows in that time period, and still in some today. I found out after I started NaNoWriMo that it was actually originally written for that, and that only made me love it more. I don't have high hopes for the movie version coming out, but we will see, maybe it will be good?

5. The Red Tent By Anita Diamant
     This was given to me by a friend, and I will admit I was sceptical at first, but I ended up loving it. It was a beautifully told story. I really felt like the author was painting a picture in my mind of how it all looked. Amazing!

6. The Stupidest Angel By Christopher Moore
     You gotta love a Moore book. Laugh out loud awesomeness. Its two of my favorite things, Christmas and zombies, wrapped in a nice neat little package. 'Nuff said.

7.The Comfort of Strangers By Ian McEwan
   Yes, this is a weird book, and more then a little disturbing at times. Still, I enjoyed it. Made me never want to go on a vacation again, but I liked it.

8. The Walking Dead volume one: Days Gone By by Robert Kirkman
     I really enjoyed this graphic novel, and I need to get my hands on the rest of them. I realize the whole zombie business is a tad over done these days, but The Walking Dead is probably the best of the bunch at the moment.

9. The Queens Fool by Philipa Gregory
    From the author of The Other Boleyn Girl comes another great story. I love all of her books. They suck you in, and when you turn the last page, its like losing a loved one. Its one of those books that takes you right into the story, and you are the main character. Beautiful.

10. Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows
      Yes, I read this book before 2010. But I probably read it twice this year, and it will always be in any top book list I make. Besides, its got it all. Romance, violence, tragedy, comedy. How could you not love it?


Well, that's my top ten for the year. I read a lot of great books this year, and even a couple of not so great books. I would highly recommend this whole list to everyone. Hopefully next year I get to read at least some of the hundreds on my want to read list.

Merry Christmas!!

No comments:

Post a Comment