Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Maze Runner Trilogy

Hello all!
I recently finished reading The Maze Runner trilogy, by James Dashner. I read the first two probably a year ago, and I did put a very short review in an earlier post, but now Ill go a little more in depth with it.
The first book, The Maze Runner, starts off with the man character Thomas, waking up in a dark, metal box.  He has no idea where he is, whats going on, or even who he is, aside from his name. The box starts to move, and when the top opens up, he sees a group of boys looking down on him. He soon learns that he has been placed in a large, farm like place the other boys call the glade. Large stone walls surround the glade, with doors that open every morning, and close every night. And on the other side of the walls lies a maze. A maze that doesn't appear to have a solution. A maze that fills with monsters every night when the doors close.
A few weeks after Thomas arrives, the box he arrived in opens again, and for the first time, the glade has a female resident. Teresa is unconscious when she is lifted out, and in her hand, a note that says 'She is the last one. Ever.' When she comes to, all she says is 'Everything is going to change,' and then passes back out. And she is right. Everything does change.
Without giving to much away, the second book, The Scorch Trials, and the third book, The Death Cure, are equally as enticing and equally as good of a read as The Maze Runner. I really enjoyed all three books, although I feel like the second and third could very well have been a single book. I also have to think that, by the end of the Death Trials, there were quite a few unanswered questions still in my mind. And that is one thing that annoys me quite a bit. Why mention something if you are just going to leave it up in the air, especially when you have finsihed the book in a way that there cannot be a sequel.
But I don't want to criticize to much, because I really did enjoy the books, and I definitely would recommend them. I find that I have a bit of a thing for dystopian novels, and if anyone has any suggestions of other, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment