Friday, December 2, 2011

And so it ends...

Ah, NaNoWriMo. How I loathe you while you are here, and yet how I miss you when your gone. Technically, its been over for only two days, but I actually validated on the 25th, and I'm sad to say I barely glanced at my novel again after that. Five wasted days, in which I could have gotten at least 10k more, and instead I did nothing. I don't really feel to bad about it though, for a couple reasons. One being that I feel like my novel this year was much more original, and much more enjoyable. Not a single zombie makes an appearance, although a man eating monkey makes up for it.And the other being that I got a job and actually had other things to do with my time, unlike the rest of the month.
Right now, I am happy for the break from thinking of nothing but my novel. I am happy for the break for my wrists, which started to get quite achy around the tenth. But this year, I really want to get somewhere with this novel. The biggest obstacle in that is going to be the fact that I now need to rewrite the whole thing. About halfway through, I decided that having my main character be a middle aged man made no sense with the rest of the plot, and that really, he should be an orphaned teenager. I really didn't want to scrap the twenty or so thousand words I had at that point, so I just kept writing it the way it was, thinking that a complete rewrite wouldn't suck as much as being wordless in the middle of the month. And I was right, it doesn't. I have started the rewrite, and its going well. I'm just going to tell myself that it is still November, and keep trying to reach a respectable word count every day.

I am quite glad that NaNo came into my life. I love the challenge of it, and I think it had changed who I am. Now that I know I can do something as crazy as write a book in a month, I know I can do anything. (Hooray for cheesy lines!!) When I was a little kid, I wanted to be a writer. Now, I'm twenty six, and I still want to be a writer. And with every NaNo I do, the closer I get to that dream. Hats off to my fellow wrimos, the crazy bunch that they are!

I getting another early review book from LibraryThing, so expect a review of that once I receive the book, as well a combined review for The Maze Runner Trilogy, which I just finished reading.



No comments:

Post a Comment