Friday, March 25, 2011

Editing My NaNo Novel

After spending the entire month of November working on my nano novel, literally every spare second I had writing, I took a loonnngg break away from even looking at it. Yes, maybe I have procrastinated just a wee bit. And maybe I have been avoided rereading something that I'm convinced is pure crap. But its time. I'm going to kick myself into action and get'er done!
So I began going through the first couple chapters, and I was right, it is pure crap. There is plot holes galore, I didn't separate any of it into proper chapters, some of my sentences run on for far to long. I learned that my spelling and grammar are awful. I discovered that I absolutly hate the names I have given my main characters, and while I managed to find a suitable replacement for the female main, one for the male has yet to come to me. Please share any suggestions!
With all the things Ive learned from the process of editing, Ive also learned that I can write. There is some good stuff in there, some damn good stuff. One of the main reasons I like to read is for the escape it gives me, out of this world, and into one someone has created. And despite pinpointing and fixing errors while reading my own novel, I found I could escape into the world that I myself had created. And that's a pretty awesome feeling.
Im actually starting to think that allowing other people to read my novel would be a good idea. And that they might actually like it. Who knows, maybe one day I will walk into a book store, and see my own book sitting on a shelf, and be able to say to the shop owner "I wrote that".

No comments:

Post a Comment